Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Gratitude Parte Dos...


Painting by David Fenn presented by Gallery OneTwentyEight
Miami, you are beautiful… not the scene, the beach, the parties, truly I had to focus on the Fridge Art Fair at Pax, nestled in its little green on Calle Ocho (Por favor don’t call it SW 8th St. como una turista!) between Brickell and Little Havana.

The beauty was the people, both the welcoming community we relied on to feed an house us, and especially those who came to our booth, which featured New York artists Danny Licul and Dean Radinovsky’s paintings in a micro-exhibition (see previous post) and really engaged the art, asked questions, gave intelligent and insightful opinions. They changed my experience of fairs, where I have often felt like a hungry leopard in a zoo ready to spring at the rare passerby who happens to be drawn in. It was an experience of knowing where I was supposed to be, and I also have to credit the Fair itself for encouraging a showing-not-shopping concept.


Paintings by Danny Licul (top) and Dean Radinovsky at the Fridge Art Fair Miami

When I stopped to pet a man’s dog outside (he did not know who I was) and he told me how he had accidentally wandered in and loved the fair, it reminded me how important and rewarding it can be to get out of the districts and take art “on the road.”

Til next year…