Sunday, July 27, 2014

An artist, a curator and a dealer walk into a bar...



Passing by an outdoor performance yesterday and witnessing a comedian totally bombing to the point where the large audience was about to boo him off the stage, I suddenly remembered that I hadn’t published anything about my recent visit to the Whitney.

Aside from well-curated selections from the Museum’s permanent collection now on view, the most impressive art experience of the evening was walking into an unintentional performance – a guided tour of the Koons exhibition in progress before a large, rapt audience  – and feeling as if I had been transported into a remake of “Brave New World.”

My first thoughts about the work on view, gathered in a Facebook comment, were:
“…srsly…my thought for the day on the Koons show is that the visually grotesque* has its place in my aesthetic. The socially and psychologically grotesque not so much. I just don't know when to take it as satire and when to be repelled and very afraid...srsly...”
But I had to ask myself, “Why?” I am simply not one of those people who only considers “serious” art to be art… 

At the opening of Paul McCarthy’s  “WS” at Park Avenue, I jumped for joy like a kid at Disneyland – he had built an enchanted bridge between art and fun for the subversive pleasure of art-jaded grownups. Kara Walker’s visual depth and dexterity allow her to gracefully hopscotch around the lines of “taste”, eliciting a smile or a laugh even as we confront prodigious grief and brutality. Her 2007 show at the Whitney was masterful. My multi-talented dear friend, the late Chris Twomey**, played with sexuality and banal materials, particularly in her “XX” & “Tsunami” bodies of work – I can still see her grin and wink as she watched somewhat shocked viewers take it all in with a gasp and a giggle.

The Joke Rule:

 If it makes you laugh, even in spite of yourself, you can’t complain about it.

And what is more the function of visual art than to evoke a strong, immediate response without requiring analysis?

So, when I cannot, even while trying to understand, get myself to respond with anything other than a kind of numb confusion to Koons’ work, I am released from the rule. I still stand ready to come out and play, but only if it is fun… LD

Chris Twomey, Triumph of the XX (installation) 2008, aluminum foil, prints, DVD projection (c) estate of the artist.
video from the series 



* fine examples of the visually grotesque, well used, can be found in the works of Philip Guston, Francis Bacon, Ahmed Alsoudani and others…

**A retrospective of Twomey’s work is planned at Creon Gallery this coming season. http://www.creongallery.com/